Japanese-style Black Sesame Okra Salad 🙂
Because of my kitchen deprivation for the past 2.5 months, I created this on the same day I made Coconut-Peanut Ice Cream and my Coco Loco Vegan Waffles.
I felt a shortage of vegetables, particularly of the green, and relatively un-greasy variety, while I was in Sri Lanka. So, I attacked all green and/or leafy vegetables in sight. One of my first tasty victims was the Okra in this ridiculously easy, surprisingly tasty, simple and fresh salad, which some of its early doubters now claims could rival movie food and/or pulutan. Simply:
- Boil the okra until desired crispness / sogginess. I prefer for it to be a little al dente vs. limp and impotent.
- Toast black sesame seeds.
- Crush them slightly with a fork, just enough to release its wonderful addictive aroma. (I love black sesame.)
- Add 1-2 parts Kikkoman soy sauce for every 3 parts of mirin.
- Toss everything together.
Crazy easy. Just like cooking up a batch of instant pancit canton sans the packeted oil and wax-coated noodles, which while delicious and addictive in its own right, provides a lot less nutrients than the above dish.
I love simple yet tasty food.
Follow my tweets • Find me on Facebook • Sign up for my newsletter • E-mail me